Monday, May 28, 2012

The Fire is Burning

Hi, everybody! It's me again, writing from a library in the middle of Armadale, Perth, Australia!

This week has been VERY slow. There is a flu bug going around. So, about half of the less-active members, active members, and investigators we usually see, we weren't able to see. Also, we have been going EVERYWHERE, trying to find new people to teach. It's not fun. Apparently the whole zone is having problems with finding. And finding members to join in on the lessons. (Moral of this story: If the missionaries come by, give them someone to teach, or offer to join them in teaching a lesson. They'd appreciate it. ;)

On a happier note, we found a new less-active member! His name is Fabian. He is from Chile, and has been in Perth only 5 months. We are 2 of the 3 people he knows in Australia. He has been a member all his life, and is a returned missionary. He really wants to get back into the church, more active in it, etc. So we are teaching him now too! In a way, he reminds me a lot of Daniel, the other less-active we were teaching. He knows an incredible amount about the church. He's even spoken with Elder Holland! :O Also, Daniel is doing ok. He had a lousy week this past week. Jobs are very hard to find here, I gather. But wonder of wonders, he got two job offers for a months work from ward members this sunday! That boosted him up.

We have a baptism coming up! June 9th, Zach Jenner will be baptized into the church! Zach is 9. His family was less-active until now. He is autistic, but really wants to be baptized. So we've been teaching him, and getting everythign sorted out with the mission president. His family is fun to teach as well.

On Saturday, we went to a bonfire mission farewell, for someone in the ward. They're headed to Washington, D.C. Believe me, this was no ordinary bonfire. We pulled into the field, and said bonfire was about 15 feet high, and included a dead tree, standing in the middle. You can't get near the flames without your skin crisping off :D It was so awesome. Australians have no idea how to make s'mores. (their version: get marshmallow, two cookies, a few m&ms, wrap in tin foil, chuck in flames. Then grab stick, cover face with jacket, and try and pull it out before it turns to charcoal.) We showed them the correct way, and they were very impressed.

Also, during the bonfire, I taught the First Vision to a catholic lady, who had some questions about the church! She loved it, and wanted to learn more. WOOT!

This upcoming week is Week 11 in my training. This is the week where I take the lead in Everything. Oh. Crud. Hopefully I make it through all of this with my sanity intact. Wish me luck!

So, that's been my week!

Hey, cousin Micah! Armenia, wow! That's going to be so Cool!

Also, congratulations Peggy on getting a master scriptorian award!

Just a quick note, I love getting all these emails from everybody! It's great to hear from you all. Unfortunately, I only have an hour to write this general letter, and to my mission president, and respond to a few other emails. So if I sound hurried, crazy, or something, I don't mean to. (letters are easier to respond to, I can sit down and write them at night. ;) ) So anyway, just to let you know!

Love you all!

Elder Reeder

No comments:

Post a Comment